The Mitchell Area Safehouse was established in 1984 and operated out of a small location until 1990. In 1996, a generous donation was given by Tanta Osterhaus. The donation was able to pay off the mortgage on the home on West 3rd. The Family Visitation Center was also established in 1996. In 1998, Tanta Osterhaus gave another generous donation to begin the building fund of our current facility at 1809 N Wisconsin. In 1999, the shelter and visitation center became known as “Tanta’s House, Mitchell Area Safehouse and Family Visitation Center.”
The Safehouse’s primary goal is to provide emergency and/or transitional housing for adult survivors and their children escaping domestic violence and/or sexual assault. Trained advocates provide support and referral services for survivors of abuse. The Visitation Center’s primary goal is to provide a continuum of visiation services to meet family’s needs; strive to provide a neutral adn non-threatening environment in which parents may interact with their children while creating positive memories.